Unfolding Fashion Tech:
Pioneers of Bright Futures
50 Innovative Fashion Projects + 8 Short Articles by Daniëlle Bruggeman, Jan Mahy, Rens Tap, Ben Wubs, Loe Feijs, Koen van Os, Gail Kenning, Lianne Toussaint, Stephan Wensveen, Anke Jongejan, Pauline van Dongen and Oscar Tomico.
Despite technological advances in new materials, design processes, artificial intelligence, 3D-printing, miniaturized electronics and design software, changes in the fashion industry and everyday apparel have not been as significant as we might expect. Should the fashion industry embrace any of these innovations, its system could change completely within only one or two seasons.
This book shows what the future of fashion could look like, according to designers, scientists, industry professionals and theorists in the fashion tech field. It unites their different perspectives on the challenges and explores alternatives to the plentitude of discarded garments buried in landmasses. Unfolding Fashion Tech: Pioneers of Bright Futures offers a hopeful vista for the future of fashion, textiles and technology.
A special timeline insert 1600_2020 places the pioneering Fashion Tech projects in the historical context of innovation.
Marina Toeters, fashion tech designer, selected an overview of fifty pioneering fashion tech projects realised in the last twenty years. These projects are complemented by eight short theoretical and practical articles to put the growing global fashion tech scene in perspective. Written by professionals from the fields of technology, fashion and academia, the articles contain up-to-date information that will allow the reader to meet or catch up with the field.
Presenting the present day state of fashion technology, and a glimpse into a future where fashion and technology merge.
Find biographies of all contributors here
Fashion Tech Pioneers represented in the book:
Angella Mackey, Aniela Hoitink, Anja Hertenberger, Anke Jongejan, Anouk Wipprecht, Bambi Medical, Barbara Pais, Bart Pruijmboom, Bas Froon, Beam Contre Choc, Bianca Gorini, Brigitte Kock, Bruna Goveia Da Rocha, by-wire.net, Daisy van Loenhout, Danielle Roberts, Eef Lubbers, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eunbi Kim, European Space Agency (ESA), Fabienne van der Weiden, Gail Kenning, Hellen van Rees, Holst Centre, Ilfa Siebenhaar, Ilja Visser, Jasna Rokegem, Jesse Asjes, Jessica Joosse, Karin Vlug, Kristi Kuusk, LABELEDBY., Laura Duncker, Laura Luchtman, Laurentius Lab, Leonie Tenthof van Noorden, Lithe Lab, Living Colour, Loe Feijs, Malou Beemer, Marina Toeters, Martijn ten Bhömer, M.nster., Melissa Coleman, Mohamad Zairi Baharom, MVO nederland, NEFFA, Niek van Sleeuwen, Pauline van Dongen, Philips, Sibrecht Bouwstra, Solar Fiber (Meg Grant, Ralf Jacobs, Marina Toeters and Aniela Hoitink), StudioBonvie, Studio PMS (Puck Martens, Merle Kroezen and Suzanne Mulder),
- 155 x 220 mm / 6.1” x 8.66” inches (portrait)
- Marina Toeters (by-wire.net)
- Daniëlle Bruggeman, Jan Mahy, Rens Tap, Ben Wubs, Loe Feijs, Koen van Os, Gail Kenning, Lianne Toussaint, Stephan Wensveen, Anke Jongejan, Pauline van Dongen and Oscar Tomico
- Inedition (Eva van der Schans)
- Release date
- sewn and glued
- Premium cream 1.95, 90 grams (inside) Colorplan Ice White, 270 grams (cover)
- Cover 2/1 PMS 803 (fluor yellow) + PMS 2767 (dark blue) / PMS 2767 (dark blue). Content: 4/4 full-colour
- Wilco, Amersfoort (NL)
- Larish Neue (by Radim Pesko) and Graphik (by Christian Schwartz)
- Image specs
- 199 images PMS 2767 (dark blue), 63 images in full color
- Insert: fold out timeline 2/2 PMS 2767 (dark blue) + PMS 803 (fluor yellow), with 142 images in PMS 2767 (dark blue), 700 x 220 mm / 27,3” x 8.66” inches
- Production assistant
- Daisy van Loenhout
- Editorial assistant
- Cindy Tieleman
- Text editor
- Gail Kenning
- Made possible by
- Eindhoven University of Technology and NL Next Fashion & Textiles
THE PEOPLE WHO’VE WORKED ON THIS PROJECT
- Marina Toeters / by-wire.net editor
- In Edition / Eva van der Schans graphic designer
- Daniëlle Bruggeman author
- Jan Mahy author
- Rens Tap author
- Ben Wubs author
- Loe Feijs author
- Koen van Os author
- Gail Kenning author
- Lianne Toussaint author
- Stephan Wensveen author
- Anke Jongejan author
- Pauline van Dongen author
- Oscar Tomico author